FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Credit Card Insurance coverage
View Single Post
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:01 pm
eigenvector

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Travel insurance usually only covers your unexpected out of pocket expenses at YYZ and HKG under certain situations as specified in your policy. Usually the delay has to be at least 4 to 6 hours and there is a daily and trip maximum that one may claim. Travel insurance will not buy you a new ticket from HKG to CGK if you missed your connection. You are on your own. That's always one of the risks when buying two separate tickets.
There are many types of travel insurance. What you are referring to is commonly called 'Flight Delay' insurance, covering meals and accommodation not provided by the air carrier when a flight is delayed or a confirmed connection is missed.

'Trip Interruption' often covers mis-connection between two common carriers regardless of whether they are on one ticket. After all, you might find it very difficult to get a train, an international air ticket, and a ferry on one ticket, but any of those things could reasonably be delayed and result in trip interruption. The policies typically associated with Gold and Platinum Amex cards in Canada do cover this, and will reimburse the purchase of a new one-way ticket to the next stop or to return home up to the limit of the policy ($1,500 for Gold and Aeroplan Plat, $2,500 for Plat). This is of course provided that the trip itself is covered which means the entire cost has to be charged to the card.

Having the piece of mind of insurance coverage for separate tickets - which I've used several times successfully - saves me a lot of money and it's one of the main reasons I cough up $500 annually for an Amex Platinum.