FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:07 am
Saltire74
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by chejus
Hello. Newbie question: I have a paid business class ticket and would like to upgrade to first. My options are 1) using miles. Buy 60.000. However, calling Emirates, they say there is no space for upgrade using miles. Expertflyer still shows several available seats in first class for Nov 8th flight. 2) Paying at airport if they still offer this possibliity.
Does anyone know
1) When will I be able to see first class availability (I think it is Z class for upgrades to first)? How many days before the flight?
2) What is best...if buying 60.000 miles in the web page or waiting for the check in and asking there.
3) Any other suggested strategy?

Thank you!
Hi chejus

​​​​​​​
Have you asked how much it is to up-fare with cash? I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago and to buy the miles required cost more than the cash difference.

My advice would be to call EK and ask before shelling out for miles that you may not be able to use.

​​​​​​​S