FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pre Existing Reservation changed to higher points
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:30 am
cfischer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Isochronous
From reading earlier posts on this forum, the solution that people appeared to be offered was to contact Marriott and they would just credit the extra points to your account so that pre-Aug 1 bookings were honoured at the previous rate.

I called tonight and was told that they wouldn't do this until a week before check-in because they needed to guard against people cancelling and keeping the 'extra' points. Rather annoying given that the T&Cs for most reward bookings allow cancellation until 24 hours beforehand so their 'protection' doesn't really address the problem they say they are concerned about. Not very impressed after spending half an hour on the line only to be told I will have to call again!
I find that an understandable concern and if you read some posts here on this forum ... it was at least contemplated ... I am sure it was also executed.
Sucks to call back, but is that such a big deal? They are honoring the old rates and you'll have to call back anyway; why not wait till a week prior to the stay?