FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:31 pm
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine

I have the LGT fare, I am sure of that mine booked into K. I attempted to use an RPU. for one of the domestic legs, and that's when I was notified by the reservation agent that the fare does not qualify. I knew that going in, because it's clearly denoted when making the reservation and you even check off a box to say that you understand. I tried calling in because there wasn't an upgrade box available when I viewed my ticketed reservation, and per one other poster here they said they had success with reaching an agent and having them manually apply the RPU
I'm sure you do, based on the message you quoted shown on your reservation stating some of the restrictions, but I'm not sure dinoscool3 does. It's possible, in dinoscool3's case, that the fare is LGT but somehow the RPU was applied despite the headline restriction; however, from the stated facts, at least, it's also possible that the fare is not -LGT, and there was a different issue (e.g., ticket out of sync) blocking the RPU which an agent was able to resolve.

The point is that quoting the fare class you book into is not the same as specifying -LGT or not. For example, KLA0ZNCT applies for CHI-LON and is not a -LGT fare (does not end in LGT) and does not have the change restrictions that prevent upgrades. On the other hand, KLA0ZLGT is also for CHI-LON but is a -LGT fare (ends in LGT) and does carry restrictions, so it disallows upgrades and other changes. And yet, both book as a K fare class.