FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying with an 8 week old puppy...help!
View Single Post
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:19 am
navi_jen

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Flying with an 8 week old puppy...help!

Hi,

I am rescuing a 8 week old puppy, and I am picking him up tomorrow. Unfortunately, my 80 YO dad was just admitted to the hospital and has to have surgery. I don't know how long my dad will be incapacitated as the docs cannot get a full read on his situation until they open him up. I'm in Boston, my Dad is in Tampa. The puppy is a long distance adoption and is already enroute to BOS. I hate to immediately put him into foster or a kennel (and none of my friends can take a puppy). So, I'm thinking of flying from BOS to Tampa with the puppy and staying in TPA for a week or two.

I can get a direct on Jet Blue, flight time is 3:30...or a DL connection thru DTW that breaks the trip into approx 2 equal segments. I have status on both, don't mind paying for the fuzzy face.

It's my first puppy and first time attempting to fly with a pet...so I have no idea what I am doing. He's less than 10 pounds right now, so I think he will fit into a pet carrier.

Any recommendations on which airline is more pet friendly?
Easier to have 1 longer flight, or 2 shorter?
Anything I should do to make the flight go more smoothly?

I thought about driving, but it's 20 hours each way, and my Dad has a car here. So doesn't seem to make any sense

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by navi_jen; Oct 27, 2018 at 11:25 am