Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Flying with an 8 week old puppy...help!

Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic

Hi,

I am rescuing a 8 week old puppy, and I am picking him up tomorrow. Unfortunately, my 80 YO dad was just admitted to the hospital and has to have surgery. I don't know how long my dad will be incapacitated as the docs cannot get a full read on his situation until they open him up. I'm in Boston, my Dad is in Tampa. The puppy is a long distance adoption and is already enroute to BOS. I hate to immediately put him into foster or a kennel (and none of my friends can take a puppy). So, I'm thinking of flying from BOS to Tampa with the puppy and staying in TPA for a week or two.

I can get a direct on Jet Blue, flight time is 3:30...or a DL connection thru DTW that breaks the trip into approx 2 equal segments. I have status on both, don't mind paying for the fuzzy face.

It's my first puppy and first time attempting to fly with a pet...so I have no idea what I am doing. He's less than 10 pounds right now, so I think he will fit into a pet carrier.

Any recommendations on which airline is more pet friendly?
Easier to have 1 longer flight, or 2 shorter?
Anything I should do to make the flight go more smoothly?

I thought about driving, but it's 20 hours each way, and my Dad has a car here. So doesn't seem to make any sense

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by navi_jen; Oct 27, 2018 at 11:25 am
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:32 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I am moving this to the Travel With Pets Forum. Good luck with the new pup.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks Obscure...had no idea this section of the forums even existed.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA
Sorry about your father.

How is the puppy being shipped to you? Cargo or being accompanyied in cabin. I do not mean to sound negative about your puppy but are you sure the puppy is healthy and the good health certificate is legit? I have volunteered for animal rescue since 2010 and am surprised that someone is shipping a puppy so young and there are some unethical rescues out there that fling puppies to wherever they can as long as they get paid.

Delta requires animals to be 10 weeks old, I did not see an exact age on Jet Blue. You need to make a reservation for the dog in cabin.

8 week old puppy does not have much of an immune system and only first shots. You need to think about what the puppy could be exposed to just by walking around. Where I live there has been a distemper outbreak and that can be lethal to puppies who are still getting their series of shots. Do you know when the puppy got the first shots?

I realize you are stressed but there is a lot to think about.

Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Hi Art, the puppy was driven up from AL...there are pictures in the OMNI Pet thread. The foster/vet guess he's about 8 weeks, he was found on the side of the road. I have the paperwork from the foster, and he started his meds on the 27th of September and has (I have the stamps): Panacur, Ponzuraril, Bortadella, Advecta, Nobivac DAPP (1, 2 and 3), Pyrantel, Strongid. I am planning to get him into my local vet this week for his first checkup.

Given the advice I received, I was planning (when I return to TPA) to go JetBlue...seems like they have animal space on most of their flights this week (and it's the shortest flight). I could drive down, but that would be a long 2 day trip with a puppy. Would that be recommended?

It just sucks....I have wanted a dog my entire adult life. And the week I finally get one, my dad lands in the hospital 2k miles away. Of all the luck. And I hate to do it, it will be stressful as h$ll for the little guy, but I don't know what else to do.
cdagirl likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:08 am

When does the puppy arrive? Has the rescue discussed the MA quarantine law for out of state rescues even those with health certificates?

Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by arttravel
When does the puppy arrive? Has the rescue discussed the MA quarantine law for out of state rescues even those with health certificates?

I wasn't aware that such a law even existed. The OP needs to double check on it.
That being said, I recommend the shortest flights possible using a Sherpa type bag and travel in cabin.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
I wasn't aware that such a law even existed. The OP needs to double check on it.
That being said, I recommend the shortest flights possible using a Sherpa type bag and travel in cabin.
Too many people ended up with sick dogs from out of state rescues --

From one rescue: The State of Massachusetts requires that all dogs entering the state must be quarantined for a minimum 48 hours per Animal Health Emergency Order, 1-AHO-05. This is required of all dogs entering the state, regardless of their health, age, vetting status, etc. (Note there is an exemption for shelters sending owner surrendered dogs from neighboring states in New England and New York).

And the order itself -- https://www.mass.gov/files/documents...Compliance.pdf

I am surprised that more states have not taken a hard line. The canine flu H3N2 originated in Asia, likely came with a rescue dog shipped from Korea to Chicago, infected dogs in Chicago, and has spread to many states. I have volunteered with a rescue, and there is a lot of cutting corners -- some rescues because of financial constraints, some from greed (ie puppy flippers).

But I agree Sherpa and short flights are the best.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
I would think you will have the least problems if you drive

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.