FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:10 am
PUCCI GALORE
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by subject2load

Goodness me dear PUCCI ...... when you say you’re “like HIDDY” on this, you’re referring to an FT member who - on his own admission just the other day - hasn’t actually travelled anywhere in the last three years (an embargo imposed by his good wife, seemingly). Little wonder then, that when BA advise of data breaches potentially affecting customers who have made bookings between various specified dates durung the past few months, it is all of zero concern to HIDDY, and indeed any others who have had no occasion to do business with BA. Or .....as he puts it himself : “ I couldn’t give a monkeys about it ..... “

Like yourself PG, I too have many other issues and activities to occupy my waking hours ; which is precisely why I particularly resent having to waste a half day of a busy week contacting my various card issuers (waiting in phone queues on occasion), my bank, re-setting passwords, and meticulously trawling past transactions & statements of account, let alone the underlying anxiety. And all because of BA’s failure to protect my confidential data.
Dearest - when I say that I am like HIDDY - I mean that perhaps I have lived through too much to worry about things that haven't happened, and indeed might never happen. I regard anything put out in cyberspace as being open to abuse.

Now, call it complacency, but I really did change the banks passwords, cancelled the two cards allied to the account and changed my BA password. Anyone getting the first mail would have been a fool not to do so. Probably I should have done it long before. Perhaps being a Glass Half Full Person, I tend to worry about what is happening rather than what might happen. I think that we were lulled into a false sense of security by thinking that these systems were safe. Clearly they were not. One can only speak of the level of inconvenience or loss to which anyone was put. I was put to very little, and yes I had to hold on the phone to American Express, but then I've held on far longer for other far less worthy reasons.

Please believe that I am no way defending British Airway as I think that they were the architects of their own downfall so anxious were they to save pence and waste pounds.