FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:42 pm
dougzz

Programs: BA Gold
MIA 26th October - Preferred. Had a long standing reservation for a group S, Standard Elite SUV. Tiny sample size as I rent maybe twice a year in the USA, but once again no group S available, which seems to be the norm for me. Was offered a van, no thanks, or a smaller SUV, asked politely that if they didn't have what I'd reserved and pre-paid for I should get something larger/better, not a downgrade. I could see a Yukon so pointed that out, ignored. Much tapping and then a Ford Flex was found, not my fav, but is basically what I'd reserved. Guy said this is a van, I said it's a cross-over and not really a van, I know this all gets so silly, so just left the booth for the car.
But whilst I'm not done with Avis as I realise all rental companies are much the same, I think I am done with Standard Elite SUV as Avis seem to regard this as an up sell in price only, then expect to just use another car class for the rental. Small sample as I say, but it seems to be repeatedly the case for me to just not have this group and expect the renter to be happy with something else.