FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL to Hawaii - No upgrades avail and crazy 1st class pricing?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:11 am
xliioper
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gregtay
We attempted this is a bunch of different fares including C+... upgrading with miles is not an option on that flight ( even the DM phone agent was stumped as if she had never seen this before.) She even went as far as having me purchase a new set of tickets that she processed to see if that would then allow the upgrade and it didn't, so not sure what is going on. But I do like the SEA-HNL option and I might just go back and book that and then just tack on a separate HA inter-island fight with 5k miles. Thanks for the information... very helpful.
I am talking about the option to purchase an upgrade at check-out using miles (in lieu of cash) and it is absolutely there on this route. After check-out, the option is no longer available on the website (but an agent might be able to process it). See the screenshot below from checkout screen which I just priced on SEA-OGG. The agent may have been looking at Mileage Upgrade Awards which require both a minimum fare class (T or higher for domestic) and upgrade inventory availability. C+ fares must have an underlying fare class of T or higher to be eligible for Mileage Upgrade Awards. These are completely different from using miles to upgrade using the option below. Good chance you just got a clueless agent (happens frequently) who didn't understand the options.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 25, 2018 at 10:06 am