FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Forward Cabin Etiquette: Overhead Bin Space
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:10 pm
Ordhater

Programs: DL - PM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

Serious question - why is this a "pet peeve" of yours? In other words, why is the passenger who brings on a roll-a-board's time worth more than my comfort, in your opinion? My philosophy is I check my roll-a-board so that my one other item (my backpack) can go into the OH bin, thus preserving the (already limited) legroom and comfort for myself (If I don't check my roll-a-board, then I do follow proper etiquette and put one bag under the seat in front of me). If you expect me to put my smaller bag at my feet (when I don't have a bag in the OH bin), you are expecting me to sacrifice my comfort for your convenience. And you get the double win. Your roll-a-board in the OH bin saves you the time of having to go to bag claim and you also get the benefit of having the space under your seat free (unless you also have another bag that you put under the seat in front of you). Meanwhile, I get a double-loss now. I accepted one "loss" by accepting the extra time of having to go to bag claim and wait on my bag (along with possibly having paid to check that bag and also the additional risk of having my bag lost or delayed) and now you've taken away my tradeoff for that by also believing I should be less comfortable.
Very fair question. I think it's because I feel like, with the extra room we get in first class, it's somewhat selfish to take up two bag's worth of space in the overhead bins. That's my opinion; I expect most people would disagree with me on that point, so I would NEVER confront another passenger about this. That being said, and to your point, if I knew the small bag in the overhead bin was the only bag a passenger had put up there, it wouldn't bother me at all. My pet peeve, which I really need to get over, only extends to one person putting two bags in the bins.