FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - So close to Platinum: Need strategy to cross the finish line
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:48 am
SacTownGuy

Originally Posted by tygran37
I think I have a somewhat realistic expectation for the benefit and I think in my case (a number of nights at high dollar/high category hotels next year) I will get more out of it costs me to achieve it.

As I said I need 10 nights. I can do that for ~$1000 or 100,000 points. I also have 2x SPG Lux Credits I can apply to this if I go the cash route so if I utilize the credits (which does mean I lose out on something else) I can do it for ~$400. The points route is @ 12,500 per night x 8. Unfortunately I do not have any cat 1 marriott anywhere all that close by (closest is ~3.5 hour drive @ 6,000 per night).

I have a 7 night stay next year at the St Regis Maldives. Just getting breakfast alone at this resort is worth what... $120 per day (for 2)? I believe there are supposed to further discounts that come with Plat on top of that. In addition I have stays at Mystique Santorini, Grand Bretagne Athens, Ritz Carlton Abu Dhabi, Al Maha Dubai and St Regis NYC all already booked next year.

I have to think I get my mattress run cost back with that lineup coming up for Plat.... would you disagree with that as a long term Plat?

You get more value as a plat at higher end properties unless, as someone else pointed out, they are too high end. Then all you get is a "thank you for being plat" at reception which is worth nothing. You also get higher bonus points. I am just saying I not been overly impressed with Marriott. I like suites and have gotten very few over the years. The one year I was Hyatt Diamond my rate for suites was over 50% including one presidential suite. I would not spend much money or effort on a mattress run if it were me.