FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is your camera of choice while traveling?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:56 pm
nkedel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by lofirick
I find that camera phones these days are just as competent as digital cameras and dSLR's. I use a smartphone (my OPPO F1s).
My present phone has finally caught up to my last non-interchangeable lens digital camera in image quality when shot at wide angle (a Canon S95 -- basically a 2009 vintage camera, given how mild of an upgrade it was over the S90) and I suspect a year-newer and higher end model can do better at various degrees of zoom. I suspect a present non-interchangeable lens pocket camera like the G9X II or G7X II will do quite a bit better, but I really couldn't see getting one.

I'm very happy with an APS-C mirrorless camera (EOS M3 and will probably upgrade it whenever either they replace the M6 or if there's big price drop, with the M6 itself) and one of the cheaper full-frame DSLRs (EOS 6D). I'm curious about full-frame mirrorless, but I have enough existing Canon glass that I don't see changing systems and the first-generation EOS R is too big to really be an improvement on the 6D -- if they come out with a smaller, rangefinder style full frame camera I'd be pretty much all over it.

I don't see ever getting another pocket camera -- or another APS-C DSLR.