FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HKG late arrival options
View Single Post
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:42 am
ChrisLi

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by evergrn
You can read about it here.
I may be overly paranoid about the taxi thing, but it was such a scary experience (and apparently this is not a rare occurence based on what others, and even you, have reported) that I can't do it again.

We arrive Thurs night. Barring Fri/Sat or major event, do you think we should be able to catch a taxi at HK Station pretty quick close to 1am? (I've never had to wait more than 5min during the day.)

My options right now:
1. Skycity Marriott the first night, then head to Conrad the next day.
2. AE to Central (~350HKD), then taxi to Conrad the first night.
3. Conrad limo (1188HKD) to Conrad the first night.

I would say option (3) is not really an option for us. I can't be spending that much on airport transfer. Marriott is 2060HKD. Conrad is 3180HKD, although the actual cost ends up ~same as Marriott because of all the bonus points I earn at Conrad. These are inclusive of breakfast and tax/svc. Obviously I'd like to go straight to Conrad so that I wouldn't have to change hotels the next day.
Per my previous comment I did have my share of strange taxi ride too. My conclusion will be (4) Uber to Conrad. I travel on Uber frequent enough in the city and always come with a good driver, always a clean car (well sometime a bit wild on UberX like small but Uber Black and Uber XL)

Night time taxi is totally different story compare with day time. No one arriving at Airport Express station and as you mention, all taxi going LKF and no one is really interested to pick-up short distance rider from HK Station, I almost had trouble doing that in Kowloon Station and I believe it is in similar situation. Taxi driver is more interest to pick up "15% off" long haul ride for those office slave heading home.