FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will timeshare nights count for Elite status now?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:32 am
Horace

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by leiterk
Do we know if this is true? Are nights that are booked at other properties with Starpoints eligible for Night Credit?
You earn loyalty program Elite nights based on where you stay, not on how you pay.

I've stayed at Marriott Vacation Vacation Club properties using ownership, cash, Interval International (II) exchanges, II accommodation certificates, and II Getaways. These stays earn Elite nights because my account number was on the reservation and the properties are part of the program.

I've stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Residence Club using my Marriott Vacation Vacation Club ownership. These nights did not earn points because the brand is not part of the program.

If Westin Vacation Clubs and Sheraton Vacation Clubs are now part of the program, then nights will count toward Elite status.

Starpoints no longer exist. Starpoint balances have been converted to loyalty program points, at a 1-to-3 rate.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Scratching my head here. I can't imagine that anybody concerned about elite status - therefore earning a decent number of points per year from regular stays, even before credit cards, etc. - would even contemplate a timeshare. Just use your points on your holidays and save all the upfront costs, admin and maintenance fees, etc. of a timeshare.
I can make a stronger argument against timeshares than in favor of them, but timeshares have worked out well for us.

In any case, "anybody concerned about elite status" in Marriott's combined loyalty program — who either owns a timeshare or might buy one in the future — should know that nights at participating properties count toward Elite status.