Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Will timeshare nights count for Elite status now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

I own a Marriott Vacation Club timeshare week (at a location I never stay at). In the past, when I have traded this for another Marriott timeshare, the nights have been counted towards Elite status. Does anyone know what if this will continue? Will it be true for weeks at Vistana (formerly SPG Vacations) locations as well? (Vistana owners have previously been given SPG Gold status, and later Marriott Gold reciprocity as well.)
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Email I received from Vistana today:

• For the first time ever, Owners will now earn credit on their ownership stays toward higher membership tiers in the new loyalty program (Platinum Elite, Lifetime, etc.).
I assume it's the same for Marriott Vacation Club.

Status through Vistana is the same as before - Gold or Platinum, depending on what you own.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by CPRich
Email I received from Vistana today:

I assume it's the same for Marriott Vacation Club.

Status through Vistana is the same as before - Gold or Platinum, depending on what you own.
Wow. That would be great. Some years we have struggled to find enough nights to use our TS and still meet 50 nights for SPG. I know in the past that when we had exchanged to a Marriott Resort through II Marriott had credited the nights.
We haven't received this email BTW and I don't see it on the Vistana website. Do you happen to know if that is because of status you have with VSN or is that for all owners?

EDIT: I found the email in my spambox. I would never have looked if you hadn't posted so thank you CPRich. It seems it is indeed all owners. This change alone, in my case, compensates for the losses I experienced elsewhere in the merger. I am now one Happy Hector.

Last edited by Fizzer; Aug 23, 2018 at 10:19 am Reason: New info
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:45 pm

Do we know if this is true? Are nights that are booked at other properties with Starpoints eligible for Night Credit?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:53 pm

Not a timeshare owner but have to give credit when it’s appropriate- this is a nice benefit for owners .
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Not a timeshare owner but have to give credit when it’s appropriate- this is a nice benefit for owners .
Definitely a perk that they can sell in the timeshare presentations
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Definitely a perk that they can sell in the timeshare presentations
Scratching my head here. I can't imagine that anybody concerned about elite status - therefore earning a decent number of points per year from regular stays, even before credit cards, etc. - would even contemplate a timeshare. Just use your points on your holidays and save all the upfront costs, admin and maintenance fees, etc. of a timeshare.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:54 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Scratching my head here. I can't imagine that anybody concerned about elite status - therefore earning a decent number of points per year from regular stays, even before credit cards, etc. - would even contemplate a timeshare.
You might want to head over to tug2.net then (the Timeshare Users Group). As the FT of Timeshares, they have a lot of members and the Marriott forum is one of their most active (if not their most active). They are all very interested in timeshares and given all the threads/posts that occur when Marriott changes/updates anything to do with their rewards program, I'd guess a large number of them are very interested in both.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...ation-club.29/

This is the Timeshare Users Group forum for Marriott Vacation Club.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by leiterk
Do we know if this is true? Are nights that are booked at other properties with Starpoints eligible for Night Credit?
You earn loyalty program Elite nights based on where you stay, not on how you pay.

I've stayed at Marriott Vacation Vacation Club properties using ownership, cash, Interval International (II) exchanges, II accommodation certificates, and II Getaways. These stays earn Elite nights because my account number was on the reservation and the properties are part of the program.

I've stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Residence Club using my Marriott Vacation Vacation Club ownership. These nights did not earn points because the brand is not part of the program.

If Westin Vacation Clubs and Sheraton Vacation Clubs are now part of the program, then nights will count toward Elite status.

Starpoints no longer exist. Starpoint balances have been converted to loyalty program points, at a 1-to-3 rate.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Scratching my head here. I can't imagine that anybody concerned about elite status - therefore earning a decent number of points per year from regular stays, even before credit cards, etc. - would even contemplate a timeshare. Just use your points on your holidays and save all the upfront costs, admin and maintenance fees, etc. of a timeshare.
I can make a stronger argument against timeshares than in favor of them, but timeshares have worked out well for us.

In any case, "anybody concerned about elite status" in Marriott's combined loyalty program — who either owns a timeshare or might buy one in the future — should know that nights at participating properties count toward Elite status.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hhoope01
You might want to head over to tug2.net then (the Timeshare Users Group). As the FT of Timeshares, they have a lot of members and the Marriott forum is one of their most active (if not their most active). They are all very interested in timeshares and given all the threads/posts that occur when Marriott changes/updates anything to do with their rewards program, I'd guess a large number of them are very interested in both.
Thanks. Additionally, I assume FT'ers listen to timeshare presentations to get the bonus points they offer for listening to one. They will likely corporate this perk in their presentation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.