FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HKG late arrival options
View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:44 pm
evergrn

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
If you are of family of 2 or 3, please do Taxi all the way. The cost isn't that much difference but the convenience is way worth it. Alternative do a Uber, it should run around HKD 330 (UberX) / HKD 470 (Uber Black / XL) if not on surge pricing.

Interest to know what scary experience you have had, though I had one that the driver going sleepy and I have to ask for the next train station and send him home. I am a local so it's kind of different. Uber driver normally work at night in HK so it shouldn't be a major issue.

Taxi is gonna be scare if you arrive on a Friday / Saturday night or one of those night with major event (e.g. Wine and Dine next weekend)
You can read about it here.
I may be overly paranoid about the taxi thing, but it was such a scary experience (and apparently this is not a rare occurence based on what others, and even you, have reported) that I can't do it again.

We arrive Thurs night. Barring Fri/Sat or major event, do you think we should be able to catch a taxi at HK Station pretty quick close to 1am? (I've never had to wait more than 5min during the day.)

My options right now:
1. Skycity Marriott the first night, then head to Conrad the next day.
2. AE to Central (~350HKD), then taxi to Conrad the first night.
3. Conrad limo (1188HKD) to Conrad the first night.

I would say option (3) is not really an option for us. I can't be spending that much on airport transfer. Marriott is 2060HKD. Conrad is 3180HKD, although the actual cost ends up ~same as Marriott because of all the bonus points I earn at Conrad. These are inclusive of breakfast and tax/svc. Obviously I'd like to go straight to Conrad so that I wouldn't have to change hotels the next day.