FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premier Silver Upgrade Chances:
View Single Post
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:30 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JackFranchino
While I realize that Premier Silvers are generally considered "shark bait" at ORD and LAX, I am thinking I may have a decent chance on the LAX-OGG leg because it's a leisure route and I shouldn't be competing with too many business travelers - if any at all. Looking forward to hearing back from you all! Also, I have a United Club Pass to burn - should I use it at a lounge in LAX or DEN (which is the nicer)? Thanks for your time everyone.
Your chance is zero on ORD-LAX. DEN-DTW is possible, as DTW is a DL hub so won't have as much UA traffic. LAX-OGG is a wildcard; your chances are about as good as they can be -- midweek, offseason, non-lie-flat equipment. However, UA is carrying an awful lot of paid F traffic to Hawaii these days -- the flights are long enough and prices are low enough that people have been splurging.

If you've booked within the last 24 hours, and you have some flexibility, consider cancelling and rebooking from YYZ instead. You can get first class for about the same price as coach from DTW. Of course, you'll need to get to YYZ, but it might still be worth it.