FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Polaris In-flight Experiences
View Single Post
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:10 am
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by polarbears
I don't know, maybe I am using it wrong?! :-)

I tried it once back when you had to ask for it and then again after they put it standard on the seats. For me it smells funny ("new plastic" smell, not human odors -- yuck) and more importantly is just too thick and bulky. So since then I just put it in the overhead or give it back to the FAs.

For me the standard pillow is just right on top of the headrest. I wear big headphones (Bose 35 for the awesome noise cancelling) while I sleep am tallish (6'2") so my head has to be on the headrest to fit and with the gel pillow it's just way too tall (and the regular pillow is just right).

My best airplane sleep is on the United 787 bulkhead seats. A lot of that, I am sure, is familiarity with the seat and procedures (service).
Somehow I find the regular pillow too bulky, whereas the gel pillow is the perfect support for my head and neck. It seems hefty, but it compresses when I lay on it, even placed on the headrest, so that it doesn't actually elevate my head much, which I don't like. Perhaps I just have a fat head.