FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is airbnb even competitive anymore?
View Single Post
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:39 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ihispanic
Airbnb is still my go-to for affordable lodging. (Before Airbnb, my go-to was Priceline Name-Your-Own-Price.) We just got back from a two-week trip through France that was comprised of stays at 7 different Airbnbs. Fortunately, we went 7 for 7 (meaning that all were as expected or better). Our average lodging cost was $55/night. All but one of those Airbnbs was a private room, with the remainder being an entire apartment. All but one of the private rooms came with a private bathroom (which we typically consider a must). We stayed in/around Alsace, Annecy, Chamonix, Lyon, Aix-en-Provence, Antibes, and Paris. Using Airbnb takes work and can be frustrating, but I find the savings (and other benefits) to be worth the effort.
Yeah, I'm finding that Airbnb makes it not as worthwhile as it has been in the past to try to maintain Marriott status, especially considering that most of my travel is leisure and not business. If I wasn't consistently getting entire apartments to myself with much better quality for half the price it'd probably be a different story, however.