Is airbnb even competitive anymore?

Reply

Old Oct 29, 17, 12:28 am
  #1  
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Anywhere a good IPA is served!!
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 9,849
Is airbnb even competitive anymore?

With cleaning fees and admin. fees I don't see airbnb as a strong alternative any more. Your thoughts? Then add in fees for extra person? I've been looking at AMS and CPH for 3 people.
philemer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 17, 7:30 am
  #2  
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SGF
Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Posts: 22,868
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
With cleaning fees and admin. fees I don't see airbnb as a strong alternative any more. Your thoughts? Then add in fees for extra person? I've been looking at AMS and CPH for 3 people.
Sure, it can be. I paid $70 for a place in YUL when the cheapest Super 8 was $150. I paid $40 for a bedroom in a farmhouse in rural Maine when everything bookable online was completely sold out and random roadside 1950s motels were quoting $150.

This was this month.
jackal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 17, 8:47 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Silver
Posts: 88
City dependent

It all depends on the city. Places like Amsterdam and Copenhagen seem to be priced closer to hotels relative to other cities, where the difference is substantial. Some places are still very sparse for AirBnB where other older platforms still have a stronghold (e.g., VRBO and homeaway), or newer alternatives seem to have better inventory (e.g., misterBnB). Itís worth taking a look at these other sites if you prefer to stay at an apartment instead of a hotel.
nancypants likes this.
ajklink is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 17, 12:29 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 73
Depends on the city. In NYC, yes, cheaper.

But in most European cities, I find -- for short trips -- a hotel is better: less hassle with check-in/check-out, more privacy, private bathroom, maid service every day, maybe breakfast included.
ajl1239 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 17, 2:18 pm
  #5  
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Anywhere a good IPA is served!!
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 9,849
We'll be 3 adults so will probably need 2 bedrooms (2 hotel rooms or apt). Looks like one 2BR apt. will be the best. Will check VRBO also.
philemer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 11:51 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,633
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
We'll be 3 adults so will probably need 2 bedrooms (2 hotel rooms or apt). Looks like one 2BR apt. will be the best. Will check VRBO also.
For Copenhagen, I've had excellent experience with Apartment in Copenhagen
https://www.apartmentincopenhagen.com
Two years ago, I rented a one bedroom right on Nyhavn for 10 days at $180 a night. The entire transaction was done online (I'm from California), months in advance, with no hassle or problems. The apartment was excellent and fully fitted. The location, in a quiet courtyard behind #31 ("On the Sunny Side" building) was outstanding. I could walk out onto Nyhavn and be in the middle of the action, but could sit on the apartments balcony and not even hear the Nyhavn crowds. The rental agency was terrific. Give them a look, if you're thinking of Copenhagen. Though I haven't used it, I believe they have an office in Amsterdam as well.
​​​​
​​​​
heraclitus likes this.
rickg523 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 5:42 pm
  #7  
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Anywhere a good IPA is served!!
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 9,849
Originally Posted by rickg523 View Post
For Copenhagen, I've had excellent experience with Apartment in Copenhagen
https://www.apartmentincopenhagen.com
Two years ago, I rented a one bedroom right on Nyhavn for 10 days at $180 a night. The entire transaction was done online (I'm from California), months in advance, with no hassle or problems. The apartment was excellent and fully fitted. The location, in a quiet courtyard behind #31 ("On the Sunny Side" building) was outstanding. I could walk out onto Nyhavn and be in the middle of the action, but could sit on the apartments balcony and not even hear the Nyhavn crowds. The rental agency was terrific. Give them a look, if you're thinking of Copenhagen. Though I haven't used it, I believe they have an office in Amsterdam as well.
​​​​
​​​​
Thanks for the info. I didn't see an Amsterdam office.
philemer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 8:49 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,633
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
Thanks for the info. I didn't see an Amsterdam office.
Nor I.
It looks like that site -apartmentinamsterdam.com - is gone.
It was linked through from their main (Copenhagen) site. This was in 2015.
(Also, it appears the apartment I stayed in is no longer listed.)
rickg523 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 10:24 pm
  #9  
Xlr
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Posts: 700
Many cities have really great neighborhoods near subway stops with no good hotel options. Think Williamsburg in NYC, Mission Dolores in San Francisco, and so on.

I think the value-add of Airbnb in cities is the neighborhoods you can stay in.
nancypants likes this.
Xlr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 17, 7:06 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Delaware and MSY
Programs: BA LT Gold
Posts: 5,218
Originally Posted by Xlr View Post
Many cities have really great neighborhoods near subway stops with no good hotel options. Think Williamsburg in NYC, Mission Dolores in San Francisco, and so on.

I think the value-add of Airbnb in cities is the neighborhoods you can stay in.
Agreed. I got a very nice studio apartment in Chicago near my friend's house in the Lincoln Park neighborhood when I went there last year for his 50th birthday party. There are no hotels around there, and it was dramatically cheaper and more convenient to stay in that area vs. downtown, where all the hotels are.
travelmad478 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 17, 5:58 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 11,461
Originally Posted by Xlr View Post
I think the value-add of Airbnb in cities is the neighborhoods you can stay in.
I'd say that's similar for the other services too. I used VRBO for my last trip and I got to stay in Vauxhall for only slightly more per night than the MOXY I stayed at near the end of the trip. The MOXY, however, was much further from the city and thus more of a hassle (not to mention that hotels closer to Central London were much more expensive).

In any case, I might try Airbnb for a domestic trip at some point. (I didn't for the last trip because of their forced currency conversion and 3% FX fee.)
tmiw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 18, 8:57 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: GRR
Programs: Delta Plat, HH Gold
Posts: 856
Comparison

I have used Airbnb, VRBO, and Homeaway over the years--with generally good results on all.

However, the added fees on all has become very confusing and expensive.

Has anyone done a thorough analysis of the current differences in guest fees?

I found this--does it seem accurate?

https://www.gonitely.com/how-much-do...charge-guests/
gretchendz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 18, 12:06 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Delaware and MSY
Programs: BA LT Gold
Posts: 5,218
I don’t really see why the percentage that any of the services tacks on are confusing—both guests and hosts just end up with a total price, which you can just divide by the number of nights to get your nightly rate. The one thing that is occasionally a surprise is the host’s cleaning fee, which can add significantly to the total cost of the stay, but that’s not something that the listing services have anything to do with.

Last edited by travelmad478; Jan 14, 18 at 12:25 pm
travelmad478 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 18, 7:30 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston
Programs: CO Plat; Marriott Silver; Hilton Gold
Posts: 623
I've been shopping Airbnb for the Seatte area and found one on Bainbridge Island that was an attractive rate. But the cleaning fee was $125, which I found to be rather excessive especially after I'm instructed to strip the bed/bath of all linens, load the washer, clean the kitchen and load the dishwasher, and empty all trash cans. So it sounds like I should be paid the $125 !! Then the admin fee was another $75. After the additional fees, I can find a Hampton Inn or similar for less money. So there's no value there for me.
ChinaShrek likes this.
elll is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 18, 8:21 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Delaware and MSY
Programs: BA LT Gold
Posts: 5,218
Good Lord, that’s ridiculous. I wouldn’t book something like that either. I don’t ask my guests to do anything except lock the door on their way out.
travelmad478 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: