FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:32 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lagmo11
Was just wondering if anyone had any experience with checking in with basic economy recently? When you check in at the counter with a full size carry on do you just show the agent your united card so you can bring it with you on the plane? Also I saw in this thread some reference to only needing to be a card holder and not actually having to book with the united card while the UA page says you have to book with the card to get the carry on. Does anyone have any datapoint for what actually happens (last time when i flew basic economy with united in April, it let me check in online so did not have to meet with agent to verify carry on baggage even though booked with a different card). Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

With a qualifying credit card on file, you will get boarding group 2, which is part of your credit card benefits and overrides the Basic Economy boarding group 5. The no-carry-on / check in with an agent policy is only for boarding group 5; that's why you were allowed to check-in online before (and will be again).