FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Meal" vs "Refreshment" in Domestic J - BNE - MEL
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:20 am
dddc

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by og
Its worth trying to get a seat as far forward as possible. Catering starts from the front and delays cause irritation - especially if you are in row 3 and the people in row 1 want to chat with the FA after they have been served. Probably more important for the shorter MEL-SYD flights but still relevant if you have not eaten in the lounge beforehand.
I'm actually using BA Avios points to book with. Will I be able to pre-select seats? Status ended years ago unfortunately!

Originally Posted by number_6
The soup in J tends to be excellent, often better than the meal option Good wines no matter the time of day. Even the snack easily beats AA/BA short-haul catering.
It wouldn't be too hard to beat BA's recent efforts. A dinner flight or "rest of day" in their parlance on a MIL-LHR saw an choice between a chicken and tomato panini or a mozzarella salad. Thankfully the former was tasty and the bread not stale but not what I would have expected at that time of day. I'll have to decide on the wine if I'm getting picked up or hiring a car - to be decided!

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I had 'soup or cheese' options on 'refreshment' flights so if you want something a little more extensive, then you are better off booking a flight with a meal.
Actually a soup might suffice. And I've been impressed generally with QF's soups on international flights. I did a SYD-BNE in J a few years back and remember a mince jaffle or similar was one of the options I was presented with. Not a fan but luckily there was pasta salad option. Just hoping to avoid that scenario!

Originally Posted by serfty
The soup is often a lunch option.

It's "Breakfast" until mid morning; "Lunch" and "Snack" are basically the same until dinner in the early evening then back to 'snack' for later flights.
Thanks, I hadn't come across anything defining times like that nor a description of lunch and snack being the same!!

Originally Posted by secondsoprano
I had a superb laksa on a 5pm BNE-SYD flight last week. Also the BNE lounge has been refurbished fairly recently and the catering in there is also excellent.
I do like a good lasksa! And I hadn't factored in the lounge to snack on as well. I've only used the International J and F lounge at BNE, and that was some time ago but found them good at the time. What's the BNE domestic lounge like?