Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

"Meal" vs "Refreshment" in Domestic J - BNE - MEL

Old Oct 3, 18, 7:35 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards

Currently looking to book a flight BNE to MEL in J for early next year. I'm fairly flexible with my times and notice that some flights are marked as meals and other refreshments. I'm bringing my partner along and it will be the first time he gets to experience QF J domestically. His only data points for domestic J is AA and BA and I've always banged on about how much better QF Dom J was.

Looking at the QF website, it doesn't really say what the difference is in J for the meal times. I can see there's a difference between coffee and booze being offered and not overly bothered. I know It seems trivial to choose a flight based on a meal but it's not often I have this choice!
Old Oct 3, 18, 5:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I had 'soup or cheese' options on 'refreshment' flights so if you want something a little more extensive, then you are better off booking a flight with a meal.
Old Oct 3, 18, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
I had 'soup or cheese' options on 'refreshment' flights so if you want something a little more extensive, then you are better off booking a flight with a meal.
The soup is often a lunch option.

It's "Breakfast" until mid morning; "Lunch" and "Snack" are basically the same until dinner in the early evening then back to 'snack' for later flights.
Old Oct 4, 18, 12:13 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The soup in J tends to be excellent, often better than the meal option Good wines no matter the time of day. Even the snack easily beats AA/BA short-haul catering.
Old Oct 4, 18, 3:08 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Its worth trying to get a seat as far forward as possible. Catering starts from the front and delays cause irritation - especially if you are in row 3 and the people in row 1 want to chat with the FA after they have been served. Probably more important for the shorter MEL-SYD flights but still relevant if you have not eaten in the lounge beforehand.
shillard and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Oct 4, 18, 5:41 pm

I had a superb laksa on a 5pm BNE-SYD flight last week. Also the BNE lounge has been refurbished fairly recently and the catering in there is also excellent.
Old Oct 5, 18, 7:28 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: *A G, OW S, ST Elite.
On a similar subject, I have SYD-CNS and return coming up in a lunch time slot in business. The flight info says 'lunch' for the meal.

What should I expect?

Thanks.
Old Oct 6, 18, 4:20 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by og View Post
Its worth trying to get a seat as far forward as possible. Catering starts from the front and delays cause irritation - especially if you are in row 3 and the people in row 1 want to chat with the FA after they have been served. Probably more important for the shorter MEL-SYD flights but still relevant if you have not eaten in the lounge beforehand.
I'm actually using BA Avios points to book with. Will I be able to pre-select seats? Status ended years ago unfortunately!

Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
The soup in J tends to be excellent, often better than the meal option Good wines no matter the time of day. Even the snack easily beats AA/BA short-haul catering.
It wouldn't be too hard to beat BA's recent efforts. A dinner flight or "rest of day" in their parlance on a MIL-LHR saw an choice between a chicken and tomato panini or a mozzarella salad. Thankfully the former was tasty and the bread not stale but not what I would have expected at that time of day. I'll have to decide on the wine if I'm getting picked up or hiring a car - to be decided!

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Actually a soup might suffice. And I've been impressed generally with QF's soups on international flights. I did a SYD-BNE in J a few years back and remember a mince jaffle or similar was one of the options I was presented with. Not a fan but luckily there was pasta salad option. Just hoping to avoid that scenario!

Originally Posted by serfty View Post
The soup is often a lunch option.

It's "Breakfast" until mid morning; "Lunch" and "Snack" are basically the same until dinner in the early evening then back to 'snack' for later flights.
Thanks, I hadn't come across anything defining times like that nor a description of lunch and snack being the same!!

Originally Posted by secondsoprano View Post
I had a superb laksa on a 5pm BNE-SYD flight last week. Also the BNE lounge has been refurbished fairly recently and the catering in there is also excellent.
I do like a good lasksa! And I hadn't factored in the lounge to snack on as well. I've only used the International J and F lounge at BNE, and that was some time ago but found them good at the time. What's the BNE domestic lounge like?
Old Oct 6, 18, 10:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by dddc View Post

Actually a soup might suffice. And I've been impressed generally with QF's soups on international flights. I did a SYD-BNE in J a few years back and remember a mince jaffle or similar was one of the options I was presented with. Not a fan but luckily there was pasta salad option. Just hoping to avoid that scenario!
Domestic soups are pretty good too, although if you want 'food', then might not be quite what you might want.

In fact I had one of those 'in-between time' flight today and the options were a fruit platter or an omelette with bacon, mushrooms and something else. I had the omelette and it was very nice. QF do their eggs excellently on domestic flights (although my favourite QF domestic dish ever was salmon on a bed of soba noodle salad...)

What's the BNE domestic lounge like?
All pretty decent - rather spacious (I'm talking about business part, rather than Qantas Club part, as I haven't really been in Qantas Club part). There is a juicing station in the morning, and hot elements much like MEL and SYD lounges as well. Structurally I think it's the nicest of QF domestic lounges and it's entered straight through security which makes it rather good (right at the end of the terminal, in case you have difficulties spotting the entrance to the 'complex'). I wouldn't spend hours there but as far as a waiting area goes, it's a very good one.
Old Oct 10, 18, 1:58 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by dddc View Post
I'm actually using BA Avios points to book with. Will I be able to pre-select seats? Status ended years ago unfortunately! I do like a good lasksa! And I hadn't factored in the lounge to snack on as well. I've only used the International J and F lounge at BNE, and that was some time ago but found them good at the time. What's the BNE domestic lounge like?
The 'new' J Lounge in BNE opened in March 2017 which you can access if travelling in J - no status required! See AusBT's review below:

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-bris...-lounge-review
Old Oct 11, 18, 12:28 am
DML

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, HHonors Diamond
My wife booked biz seats on QF with (soon to expire) BA Avios recently for herself and my daughter. We were able to select her seats (they're both QF silver). Limited selection until T-80 though when I bumped them further forward
Old Oct 13, 18, 6:04 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by ozflygirl747 View Post
The 'new' J Lounge in BNE opened in March 2017 which you can access if travelling in J - no status required! See AusBT's review below:

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-bris...-lounge-review

Thanks for an encouraging link! I might just be better to have a light meal in lounge and what ever turns up onboard.

Originally Posted by DML View Post
My wife booked biz seats on QF with (soon to expire) BA Avios recently for herself and my daughter. We were able to select her seats (they're both QF silver). Limited selection until T-80 though when I bumped them further forward
I have no status anywhere anymore. I'll report back my findings when I book!
Old Oct 20, 18, 1:19 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by DML View Post
Well have gone ahead and booked. No option to select seats via the BA website (not that I was expecting there to be, just something that working with systems you tend to see what you can and can't do!). Went into manage booking on QF website. Only row 3 was on offer so took a pair so at least we don't get split up. I'll look again when check in opens to see if any other options exist. I've opted for a mid afternoon flight so maybe it won't be too busy - not that for 2 hours it's going to make much difference!

Just another point - Recently there have been posts about booking QF seats with Avios points on the BA website and not being able to select business class while economy class went through. When I bought mine today it all worked!
Old Oct 20, 18, 2:45 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Without QF status row 3 is all that is available until T80 (80 hours before flight time) when the other vacant seats in row 1 and 2, if available, will open up.

Last edited by VH-RMD; Oct 20, 18 at 3:01 am