FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renaissance Hotel Amsterdam Schiphol Airport [Master Thread]
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:20 am
JonasCLT

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott LT Titanium, '20 Ambassador
Just checked out yesterday after a 2 day stay. Picked the location due to the seemingly below market price (82 euro/night I believe) knowing it would be 30-40 minutes each way to get into the city each day. Overall pleased with the visit although they still have a bit of work to do as they move from soft launch to full launch.

Good:
  • Rooms are good size for Europe with exactly what you'd expect in a brand new Renaissance
  • Breakfast in restaurant for Platinum+ is one of the better buffets I've seen for the brand
  • Staff is friendly and looking to help (especially as they're learning and figuring out things for the first time)
  • Check in was quick, recognized status and gave "upgrade" but seems like all rooms are pretty much the same and there are no worthwhile views
Needs Improvement
  • Shuttle from airport. It runs a 40 minute loop, and at least twice in 3 days I'm convinced it didn't make the scheduled pickup at airport. There is also no signage at airport helping you find it (C23 is the correct spot, not the A area where most other hotel shuttles pick up). FYI current schedule is first hotel departure at 6 AM, first airport pickup is 6:20 and runs until around midnight.
  • Toiletries. At arrival the room had 2 lotions and 2 conditioners. After first day maid service we had 2 lotions and 1 shampoo.
  • No international power outlets in rooms and no adapters to buy/borrow at front desk. There are 2 USB outlets by the bed, but I couldn't charge my laptop after discovering I forgot my travel adapter at home. Friendly front desk agent happened to have HP power cord he was willing to loan me the first day which was awesome, but had to pick up a new adapter at the airport the next morning.
Tips
  • I originally thought the WiFi speeds were atrocious (<2 mbps down, 2-10 up) which was preventing me from getting much work done. Then I wondered if I was getting the regular level instead of the enhanced since I was auto-logged in through the new Marriott feature. After a little googling to see if I could upgrade, i found internetupgrade.marriott.com which let me enter my name & room number to sign up for enhanced and boom I was back in modern era. Don't plan on anything with the regular tier of internet.
  • Without a car you're going to be captive to the hotel for food unless you're looking to take the airport shuttle which will take at least an hour round trip. Not sure if there are any food options if you take the 5-10 minute walk across the main road to the office park.
  • Discovered several brand new bikes sitting outside the entrance on our last day. Assume they could be borrowed, not sure how much is within reasonable biking distance.