FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Paid for upgrading at check-in, no points
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:15 am
Colours

Programs: Air NZ Gold,SQ Krisflyer, Qantas bronze. Accor hotels.
Paid for upgrading at check-in, no points

Hi; On a recent trip from Singapore to Auckland on an Air NZ-Singapore Airlines code-share flight, operated by SQ, I paid for an upgrade at check-in from Air NZ PE (I had booked through Air NZ) to Business. The Business ticket was then totally put under SQ by the check-in person. I am unclear over the subsequent points allocation, can anyone explain it clearly to me?
The Air NZ FF scheme points I was given were listed as just for Air NZ PE.
So I don't even get Star Alliance points for upgrading my ticket to Business, is that right?

I wrote to Air NZ who replied: "
Our records show you purchased an upgrade for the flight from Singapore to Auckland. Upgrades are allocated at a special rate for the day, differing from the fare levels published for upgrading tickets prior to the day of travel.Upgrades are ineligible for any extra Airpoints, unless the full fare is purchased in a higher class of travel. On this occasion the new ticket had to be reissued in the first class of travel to be eligible for extra points. "
However, I did not pay a 'special rate' for the day. I paid about S$2,400, which was the rate to upgrade shown on a dummy booking that I did the day before.
I wrote back, and they replied:
"Our records confirm your ticket has not been reissued to a higher class therefore you will accrue Airpoints at your original fare purchased. Airport upgrades are ineligible to earn any further Airpoints Dollars or Status Points."
If someone can explain the rationale more clearly, I would be grateful. It seems strange that I can fork out all that extra money and get no points for it. Also, is that right, airport upgrades are ineligible to earn further points?
Thanks!(I might point out that I did my best the night before to upgrade to BP in order to stick with Air NZ. I did a dummy booking and it showed there were seats available. But the person on the call line said that all the Air NZ Business seats had been allocated, so they could not upgrade me. I then rang SQ but got someone who was inexperienced and who insisted that PE was the same as Business! So I gave up. I only asked at check-in not really expecting to be able to do so.)