Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Paid for upgrading at check-in, no points

Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold,SQ Krisflyer, Qantas bronze. Accor hotels.

Hi; On a recent trip from Singapore to Auckland on an Air NZ-Singapore Airlines code-share flight, operated by SQ, I paid for an upgrade at check-in from Air NZ PE (I had booked through Air NZ) to Business. The Business ticket was then totally put under SQ by the check-in person. I am unclear over the subsequent points allocation, can anyone explain it clearly to me?
The Air NZ FF scheme points I was given were listed as just for Air NZ PE.
So I don't even get Star Alliance points for upgrading my ticket to Business, is that right?

I wrote to Air NZ who replied: "
Our records show you purchased an upgrade for the flight from Singapore to Auckland. Upgrades are allocated at a special rate for the day, differing from the fare levels published for upgrading tickets prior to the day of travel.Upgrades are ineligible for any extra Airpoints, unless the full fare is purchased in a higher class of travel. On this occasion the new ticket had to be reissued in the first class of travel to be eligible for extra points. "
However, I did not pay a 'special rate' for the day. I paid about S$2,400, which was the rate to upgrade shown on a dummy booking that I did the day before.
I wrote back, and they replied:
"Our records confirm your ticket has not been reissued to a higher class therefore you will accrue Airpoints at your original fare purchased. Airport upgrades are ineligible to earn any further Airpoints Dollars or Status Points."
If someone can explain the rationale more clearly, I would be grateful. It seems strange that I can fork out all that extra money and get no points for it. Also, is that right, airport upgrades are ineligible to earn further points?
Thanks!(I might point out that I did my best the night before to upgrade to BP in order to stick with Air NZ. I did a dummy booking and it showed there were seats available. But the person on the call line said that all the Air NZ Business seats had been allocated, so they could not upgrade me. I then rang SQ but got someone who was inexperienced and who insisted that PE was the same as Business! So I gave up. I only asked at check-in not really expecting to be able to do so.)
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
With any upgrade at check-in on any airline I would never expect to get points for anything but the original paid fare and booking class UNLESS it was a fully paid fare upgrade with reissued ticket.
trooper and RTWFF like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks, SBiddle, knew I could rely on you for help here. So are you saying I needed to pay the full amount again in terms of paying for a whole new Business ticket, rather than the additional $2,400 upgrade on top of the PE amount, and then get a whole new ticket reissued?
Forgive my ignorance, I fly on my own dime and it is just little ol' me, rather clueless about all this. Just wondering, why the caps on 'never'? it kind of upsets me. I ended up paying nearly $5,000 for the one-way flight so you can see my puzzlement, yeah? Or is there some sort of scam that people try and pull, why you capitalised Never and seemed a bit dismissive? I really do not know much about how fares operate. Any insight appreciated. Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:16 am

Did you get a receipt/invoice when you paid for the upgrade?

It sounded like SQ processed an upgrade without re-issueing / re-validate the original ticket/PNR.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Yes, I got a receipt.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Colours
Yes, I got a receipt.
Does it say anything about the original ticket been re-issued/re-validated? Class of service/booking class code (D,U,Z,C,J) changed?

If none, you are probably out of luck?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Key point to me is what you actually asked for - and the terminology becomes important - as intimated by others.

Whether you asked for a reissued ticket in business class (seems not according to Air NZ), or purchased a ‘cabin upgrade’ which would only ever earn points at the rate of the PE fare. The price difference may not be much ( it all depends), but the pointsvearn significantly different.

Your receipt should be useful to see what, exactly, was purchased.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. Much appreciated. The receipt says it is an Upgrade from PEY to JCL.
The eticket number on the Business class boarding pass issued by SQ is the same number as the eticket number on the Air NZ PE booking.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Checking in for NZ135 AKL-BNE (in PE) today and at check-in they advised PE was full and they could offer me an excellent value upgrade to J for $299...the check-in agent was not quite happy when I told him I could get the same upgrade for APD150 so no thanks.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
When I bid for an upgrade on LH Airpoints refused to give me ANY points or status points for the flight, even at the original fare. I complained and they were unmoved
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Checking in for NZ135 AKL-BNE (in PE) today and at check-in they advised PE was full and they could offer me an excellent value upgrade to J for $299...the check-in agent was not quite happy when I told him I could get the same upgrade for APD150 so no thanks.
if PE was full did they give you a free operational upgrade to J or downgrade you to Y ?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I was hoping for an op-up but I stayed where I was
Beano likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.