FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Introducing the official SWISS Lurker
View Single Post
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:56 pm
GBM.flights

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Hi SwissInternationalAirLines,

My Swiss flight LX1370 on the 25th of Sep (ZRH-KRK) was cancelled (I was told at the airport it was due to lack of crew (Helvetic was due to operate), although the reply I got was very different.
I ended up with a 100chf voucher and not the 250Eur I was expecting.

Reply I got to the complaint form was issued:
I realize that you expect flights to operate as scheduled, and we make every effort to do so. At times, however, there are many unavoidable and unforeseen factors, beyond our influence, that can interfere with our flight operations resulting in delays and cancellations as you experienced. In this particular case, cancellation of the flight LX1370 was due to an unexpected flight safety shortcoming. We are, therefore, unable to comply with your request for EU compensation and sincerely hope you understand our position.
I'm still a bit puzzled how can Swiss assess this "unexpected flight safety shortcoming" as an extraordinary event and therefore deny EU261?
From public available sources (i.e. Flightradar) I found 6 aircraft (Helvetic/Swiss) that were parked in ZRH during the LX1370 and return leg flight time this seems as purely a decision of Swiss to not replace the originally scheduled flight and therefore cancel the lightest loaded flight.The part that irks me the most is really the info of lack of crew (more precisely "crew scheduling issues") I got at the airport* versus the legalese safety shortcomings reply I got via e-mail.
*I asked for a written statement with this remark at the airport but all I got issued was a standard form to "whom it may concern" the flight was cancelled with small print Swiss denies any liability