FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Reykjavik Nordica {ISL}
View Single Post
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:18 pm
catcher1

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by deac83
Just got back from a 7 night award stay at this hotel. I'm Diamond and also have been SPG Plat and Marriott Plat the last 5 years.
- Room was ready before noon and they checked us right in
- They did upgrade us from a standard queen to the exec queen on 8th floor (exec floor)
- Our room faced the north, which did allow us to see the northern lights, twice, from our room. If your are sensitive to street noise, this side has the road in front of it, so you can hear traffic. There is no wall unit fan, radiated heater if you need it but our problem was keeping the room cool, which required leaving the small windows (the part of the window that would open) open. That of course increased the noise level. They were pretty good at muffling the street noise. There was a refrigerator in the room, which was a former 'pay' fridge that did a good job keeping items cold. Bed was pretty bad, especially compared to SPG that emphasizes the bed. This was was pretty worn and saggy.
- Had option of breakfast in lounge vs. restaurant. Lounge was pretty typical, fruit, scrambled eggs, some pastries/muffins. Restaurant breakfast 100% better. Full options and they'll cook your eggs to order, really no comparison. Only issue I has, is I have a coke instead of coffee, free in the lounge, $4.00 in the restaurant.
- Hotel location - on the website, it seems to say 5 minute walk to town. Something at the hotel said 5 min bus ride, neither are accurate. To get to the main section of town (where the other Hilton properties are) it's at least a 15 minute bus ride that requires a connection, which doesn't include wait time at the bus stop (which is right in front of the hotel). The bus routes really only take you to the eastern edge of the main part of old town. If you walk further west, you'll have to walk back to the east to get a bus (there may be some options to the south side, but the buses skirt the main part of town most want to visit). Taxis for a 2 mile trip are $30 one way. Buses are $8 round trip. Parking on the street free after 6pm, if you use a garage, seemed to work out to $8-10 for 6-8 hours. The bus app was pretty good, but personally, my phone had sporadic internet service too frequently, so that limited the value of the app on the return (but that could just be my phone). We used the hotel as a base to explore other parts of Iceland, but everything in Reyk is in town and requires some thought on how you'll get there.

Other than our check in upgrade, never heard from the hotel again relative to my Diamond status. Since we were there so long we did ask about an upgrade to a suite after being there for a couple days. They said when flights are cancelled, airlines book up all their rooms (we saw this one day). The manager said they didn't have any suites available during our stay, even when we looked at the last 5, 4 or 3 days of our stay.

If we had to do it over we may have taken 2 nights in town and 5 at the Hilton. Parking is free at the Hilton, not free at the other properties.
Very accurate assessment. One nice plus: If you enjoy a nice stroll, crossing the street leads to paths to a very pretty arboretum/gardens with interesting Icelandic plants and flowers. And it's a five-minute walk to the Grand Hotel, which will take you downtown (but don't tell them you're staying elsewhere!). Also, two blocks away is a Mexican restaurant believe it or not, with very reasonable prices--for Iceland that is.