FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FA on SYD-SFO insists 'rule book' prohibits babies from crying 'for more than 5 mins'
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:20 am
halls120
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by leonidas
Even a great mother can have a very rough day with a baby. Babies are unpredictable. They are not mini adults, they are..... babies. I have seen otherwise quiet babies of family members (with excellent parents) go crazy on a long trip. Babies get tired and cranky easily, and they hate unfamiliar environment.
My daughter's first flight was when she was 6 months old. She slept most of the flight, and when awake, was quite docile. Once she started teething in earnest, it would have been quiet different, I'm sure.

In any event, I think people - especially FAs -need to cut parents with upset babies some slack. Last time I sat next to an infant, I offered to help mom several times, initially to no avail. Once she reached the end of her rope, she relented, and when she came back from the WC, her very upset son and I were having a grand time. Another time I was sitting next to a very restless 5 year old. I pulled out my IPad and let him play games I had installed for my grandkids, and his parents were beyond grateful.