FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FA on SYD-SFO insists 'rule book' prohibits babies from crying 'for more than 5 mins'
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:24 pm
AlanInDC

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
I empathize with parents on a plane. Really - the responsibility for controlling an irrational human being is a lot to ask for anyone. I think it requires an understanding from all passengers that the parent is doing their best and trying to handle the situation as best as they can. That being said - the parents really need to be trying and doing their best. A plane is not the place to be trying a new diet or sleep schedule. Parents should be prepared to be bringing every distraction they can - I don't care if you only let your child use the iPad 1 hour a day at home. If that is what makes the child stop crying you need to bring it out for as long as possible. If your child is inconsolable be prepared to spend a long time in the lavatory. I have all the sympathy in the world for a parent traveling with kids - seriously, it looks like an awful task and we should not hold them to the same standards we would of business travelers. BUT, they need to be a continuous, actively involved part of keeping their kids calm and quiet. If your kid is screaming and you are not trying to address the situation - that is on YOU. If you are trying and the kid is still making a fuss, that's life.
--> Yes; exactly.