FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:57 pm
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lynnie_Bee
Quick question for the expert fliers

Was scheduled 8:05pm DTW-ORD 9:12 ORD-STL yesterday booked into C/M fare classes. Got a notice around 11pm that inbound flight was delayed and so pushed back departure from DTW until 8:41pm Seemed unlikely that I would make the ORD-STL leg since I would now be arriving as the doors closed on that leg. Checked online saw another flight departing DTW through IAD to STL, but only had E+ available. Called premier desk and asked if they could move me to the other flight so I wouldn't get stuck in ORD overnight which they did for $0. (Can't same day change $0 since currently Silver).

With me voluntarily asking to switch flights will my PQM/PQS post at the original fare (C) or the new fare M and am I able to request a refund for the change in fare class? The agent on the phone said my C fare was :"actually an economy fare that allowed me to book into the premium cabin". If I am eligible for the higher PQM/PQS and refund, which is the best line to call?

I wouldn't normally quibble about a few hundred miles, but I should make Gold this year if all my projects stay on track. If 1 or 2 fall through, it will be really close at <500. Will take every PQM I can get my hands on to ensure I have Gold for next year. (Job change in July, so now am flying 2-3x / month and the E+ at booking and SDC flexibility will be really helpful).

I learned a lot from reading through this thread. Any advice would be greatly appreciated so I have the best information when I call in next week after seeing how everything posts tomorrow.
I think this thread
Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)
may have more pertinent information for you.

However, the short answer is yes, you should be able to request credit for your original itinerary.

When you write or call, emphasise that you made the change only because you would have mis-connected, and you otherwise would not have chosen to reroute. The rules are a little bit squishy, but you shouldn't get pushback.