FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hawaiian Airlines nonstop HNL-BOS starts April 2019
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:11 am
BOSOGG

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by iahphx
Franky, I'm amazed by this launch. I've lived in the Northeast. Very few people from this region regularly vacation in Hawaii. It's a really long, expensive and uncomfortable domestic flight (or two). When I tell people I routinely take 12 hour flights and it doesn't kill me, they seem surprised. So it's a trip you save for a special occasion, like a honeymoon. Easterners have much easier warm-weather destinations to go to: like Florida and the Caribbean.

I assume that's why there is so little East Coast nonstop service to Hawaii. United has a EWR flight and Delta has an ATL flight. Hawaiian has operated the JFK flight, I assume, because there are just so many people in NYC and they can get a little connecting traffic from JetBlue. I don't see this math working from Boston.
Quoting Forbes article:

"Boston is the largest U.S. travel market that currently does not receive non-stop service to Hawaii, and it is estimated that nearly 500 people fly between eastern New England and the islands of Hawaii most days. The airline said that travel between Boston Logan International Airport and Honolulu’s Daniel K. Inouye International Airport generated around $76 million in ticket sales last year."
“The greater Boston market currently brings some 60,000 visitors to the island each year..."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericros.../#53f30dcb4ffc