Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Airlines nonstop HNL-BOS starts April 2019

Old Sep 14, 18, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA General member

https://worldairlinenews.com/2018/09...omestic-route/
Great news for us New Englanders that also love the Hawaiian islands!
Old Sep 14, 18, 9:44 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, UA Gold
Is the inaugural flight out of BOS on April 5th? 4th is not bookable BOS-HNL. Wondering when these flights will be bookable with miles.
Old Sep 14, 18, 9:52 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know if you can credit the flight miles to your American Advantage account?
I see on AA's site you can earn and redeem AA miles on HA but it does not appear you can earn and redeem domestically.
Hoping to confirm
Old Sep 14, 18, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K3MM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Interesting - at least to me - as I don't believe the JFK flights have been wildly successful. Perhaps with no non-stop competition it will do fine.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Sep 14, 18, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
Interesting - at least to me - as I don't believe the JFK flights have been wildly successful. Perhaps with no non-stop competition it will do fine.
Franky, I'm amazed by this launch. I've lived in the Northeast. Very few people from this region regularly vacation in Hawaii. It's a really long, expensive and uncomfortable domestic flight (or two). When I tell people I routinely take 12 hour flights and it doesn't kill me, they seem surprised. So it's a trip you save for a special occasion, like a honeymoon. Easterners have much easier warm-weather destinations to go to: like Florida and the Caribbean.

I assume that's why there is so little East Coast nonstop service to Hawaii. United has a EWR flight and Delta has an ATL flight. Hawaiian has operated the JFK flight, I assume, because there are just so many people in NYC and they can get a little connecting traffic from JetBlue. I don't see this math working from Boston.
Old Sep 14, 18, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Franky, I'm amazed by this launch. I've lived in the Northeast. Very few people from this region regularly vacation in Hawaii. It's a really long, expensive and uncomfortable domestic flight (or two). When I tell people I routinely take 12 hour flights and it doesn't kill me, they seem surprised. So it's a trip you save for a special occasion, like a honeymoon. Easterners have much easier warm-weather destinations to go to: like Florida and the Caribbean.
UA also flies to DC.

Well, Florida and the Caribbean are often very miserable in the summer - Hawaii peak visitor months are typically June, July, August when kids are out of school. Hawaii doesn't get the humidity FL/Caribbean gets in the summer - certainly lower crime than the Caribbean and a big plus for travelers is Hawaii is a US state and much of the Caribbean is rough around the edges outside of the resorts.

So, they may be banking on that - and no competition
Old Sep 14, 18, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA also flies to DC.

Well, Florida and the Caribbean are often very miserable in the summer - Hawaii peak visitor months are typically June, July, August when kids are out of school. Hawaii doesn't get the humidity FL/Caribbean gets in the summer - certainly lower crime than the Caribbean and a big plus for travelers is Hawaii is a US state and much of the Caribbean is rough around the edges outside of the resorts.

So, they may be banking on that - and no competition
But, of course, the summer is the time for local vacations (and Europe).

It just seems like an awfully high number of seats to have to sell everyday from BOS. It doesn't even save you time unless your final destination is Oahu. And we all know that long haul leisure is a lot harder to make profitable than long haul flights with business travellers. I hope it works -- I'd love to see more Hawaiian service from the East Coast. But I'm skeptical.
Old Sep 14, 18, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by joachimm View Post
Is the inaugural flight out of BOS on April 5th? 4th is not bookable BOS-HNL.
Correct. First HNL-BOS flight is a redeye on the 4th. The return flight leaves BOS the morning of the 5th.
joachimm likes this.
Old Sep 14, 18, 3:42 pm

JFK flights

Do you happen to have a source for this? Not saying you're wrong, just wondering why you think the HNL-JFK route isn't successful. I've flown it several times over the past few years and the flights have been full each time. If I recall correctly the JFK schedule used to operate Thur - Mon with no flights departing JFK on Tues or Weds. However, the last two times I've flown the route there have been daily flights.

I hope the HNL - BOS route succeeds. Surprised there weren't leaks about this new route earlier (or if there were, I missed them).
Old Sep 14, 18, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA General member
JFK-HNL has varied seasonally between 5 and 7 days per week. I forget when the “low season” is!
Old Sep 14, 18, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by mileageplusorminus View Post
Do you happen to have a source for this? Not saying you're wrong, just wondering why you think the HNL-JFK route isn't successful.
Sure, my friends in revenue mgmt at HA, but they probably don't want to be named on FT.
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.
Old Sep 15, 18, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HH Gold, MR LTP, Amex Plat
Interesting route. I wonder if it is commercially viable. Definitely not one where HA will see competition, so perhaps it will be successful. Will be interesting to see the influence this will have on BOS-HNL pricing.
Old Sep 15, 18, 6:33 pm

Sure, my friends in revenue mgmt at HA, but they probably don't want to be named on FT.
Thanks for answering my question. I hope there are enough passengers to warrant keeping this route open.
Old Sep 15, 18, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Well, there's these funny places called Japan, China, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Korea, and Polynesia which some folks like to travel to and do want a break.

BOS-Asia is a big market, not everywhere has nonstop service and many people are quite happy to have a break somewhere nice enroute.

It's not always about O&D.
Old Sep 16, 18, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, UA Silver, HH lapsed Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by BMWMOT View Post
Does anyone know if you can credit the flight miles to your American Advantage account?
I see on AA's site you can earn and redeem AA miles on HA but it does not appear you can earn and redeem domestically.
Hoping to confirm
Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Hawaiian Airlines within Hawaii and between Hawaii and:
  • Asia
  • South Pacific
I don't see an ambiguity. AA (and Delta) don't want people flying HA US-49 to Hawaii when they have their own services.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: