FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Starting out from scratch with Hilton
View Single Post
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:56 pm
hbcobra

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Depends. Can you use the Hilton resort credit and the airline credit fairly easily? If so, the Aspire seems to be the obvious choice as it offers the largest sign up bonus (although, with largest spend requirement) and biggest multipliers on everything except grocery stores, in addition to diamond status.
I think the 150,000 in points ($900 value per TPG) is probably worth a $450 annual fee outlay in the first year, regardless of the other benefits. The resort credit and airline free credit will factor in to the decision to keep the Aspire past Year 1. I can make use of the airline fee credit, yes, so long as I can still apply it toward the purchase of airline gift cards. I will have a tougher time making use of the resort credit in Year 1, but should have an easier time in Year 2.

Originally Posted by pinniped
The biggest difference between Marriott and Hilton, as someone who has been active in both for 15+ years, is that Hilton undergoes big structural devaluations fairly regularly, and then they increase the raw numbers of points you earn per dollar. They have their own little Zimbabwean dollar here, which can be frustrating to some who want to hold their points for a longer period of time to redeem a big award. You have to earn/burn quickly with HH. Marriott, since it has just finished the SPG merger, will probably remain fairly stable for the coming couple of years.
Thanks. My plan was to apply for multiple Hilton cards (in succession, not all at once) and do some light travel at Hilton properties (maybe 10 nights in the next year). Between the sign-up bonuses and the points earned from stays, I would hopefully rack up a balance to be able to redeem for a couple of nights at luxury properties in summer 2020. I was aware that Hilton changes the number of points needed for redemption based on demand, but I didn't know that it was a regular thing to change it across the board like this. When did the last structural devaluation happen, and how often does it occur? How much risk do you think there is in banking points now and waiting until summer 2020 to redeem them?

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
If you have status with Marriott you may want to use that to jump start with HIlton:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...ch-2019-a.html
The Definitive Hilton Honors Status Match Thread
Unfortunately, I can't take advantage of this. Too many prebooked stays with other hotels to make it work right now. Obtaining status is less of an issue for me anyway than positioning myself for a few free nights at a luxury property down the road.

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
One other thing that may not be obvious: if you are using the cash and points option, those stays accrue points on the cash co-payment, including any double or triple promo credit (same for eligible incidental spending). Unlike other chains Hilton allows those stays and ones that are entirely on reward points to count towards promotions, milestone bonuses, etc.
Good to know. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mike B
For accumulating free nights, remember that these certificates are only for weekend nights. You get one certificate/year with the Aspire card, but keep in mind you can earn additional certificates by having the Ascend card and spending $15000/year on it. It is above my,pay grade, but I believe you can also earn a second night from the Aspire card by a fairly large spend, $40000/year or somesuch.
Thanks. I am only counting on the one weekend night at the anniversary.

Last edited by hbcobra; Sep 24, 2018 at 8:44 pm Reason: Typo