FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Turo rental insurance coverage through credit cards
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:41 am
ryanpatch

Obviously, all programs might be slightly different but in my experience, Credit Card Car Rental insurance DOES NOT AND WILL NOT cover Turo rentals. As I understand it, neither CC Rental Insurance not commercial business insurance will cover "car share" arrangement. I have not made a claim with my personal car insurance to know if they would have covered it.

They weasel their way out of protecting you by defining Turo as a "car share" service, and NOT a "rental" agency. It's crap.

The language from when Amex rejected my claim:
We have completed our investigation of the claim and after careful consideration; we must respectfully deny your claim.

The Description of Coverage states:

Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance provides Authorized Driver(s) with insurance coverage for Damage to or Theft of most Rental Vehicles when the Card Member uses the Card to pay for the Entire Rental from any Rental Company. Damage to or Theft of a Rental Vehicle coverage is always secondary to any other insurance.

Rental Company means a commercial car rental agency that is licensed under the laws of the applicable jurisdiction and whose primary business is renting private passenger automobiles. A Rental Company does not include a moving van rental company or any business which may incidentally rent an automobile to a customer, such as an auto dealership or auto body repair shop or vehicle sharing service arrangements which allow independent owners to rent personal vehicles.

You remain responsible to settle with the car rental company
Hope this helps someone else avoid the heartbreak and financial catastrophe that I have had.

R