Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Turo rental insurance coverage through credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

As someone who rents cars often, I've been curious about using Turo (it's like Airbnb for cars). I didn't know if premium travel credit card insurance would apply.

Barclaycard Arrival* World Elite Mastercard: Yes! The benefits administrator told me Turo is covered as long as all other conditions of the benefit are met - mainly declining the optional Turo insurance. Some cars are excluded (big vans, pickups, exotics). The Tesla 3 is covered, all other Teslas are not.

​​​​​​Chase Sapphire Reserve: this is a clear NO. I called and they said there is an exclusion that specifically names Turo, Getaround and other similar car sharing services

​​​​​​​So your mileage may vary - best to call your card and find out.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by Austin Jones
As someone who rents cars often, I've been curious about using Turo (it's like Airbnb for cars). I didn't know if premium travel credit card insurance would apply.

Barclaycard Arrival* World Elite Mastercard: Yes! The benefits administrator told me Turo is covered as long as all other conditions of the benefit are met - mainly declining the optional Turo insurance. Some cars are excluded (big vans, pickups, exotics). The Tesla 3 is covered, all other Teslas are not.

​​​​​​Chase Sapphire Reserve: this is a clear NO. I called and they said there is an exclusion that specifically names Turo, Getaround and other similar car sharing services

So your mileage may vary - best to call your card and find out.
​​​​​​​Interesting, as I was looking at Turo vs. traditional rent a car services for my trip to San Diego.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:41 am

Obviously, all programs might be slightly different but in my experience, Credit Card Car Rental insurance DOES NOT AND WILL NOT cover Turo rentals. As I understand it, neither CC Rental Insurance not commercial business insurance will cover "car share" arrangement. I have not made a claim with my personal car insurance to know if they would have covered it.

They weasel their way out of protecting you by defining Turo as a "car share" service, and NOT a "rental" agency. It's crap.

The language from when Amex rejected my claim:
We have completed our investigation of the claim and after careful consideration; we must respectfully deny your claim.

The Description of Coverage states:

Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance provides Authorized Driver(s) with insurance coverage for Damage to or Theft of most Rental Vehicles when the Card Member uses the Card to pay for the Entire Rental from any Rental Company. Damage to or Theft of a Rental Vehicle coverage is always secondary to any other insurance.

Rental Company means a commercial car rental agency that is licensed under the laws of the applicable jurisdiction and whose primary business is renting private passenger automobiles. A Rental Company does not include a moving van rental company or any business which may incidentally rent an automobile to a customer, such as an auto dealership or auto body repair shop or vehicle sharing service arrangements which allow independent owners to rent personal vehicles.

You remain responsible to settle with the car rental company
Hope this helps someone else avoid the heartbreak and financial catastrophe that I have had.

R
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: United, SPG
I've used it many times without issue. It is way better than car agency in my opinion. For the price you would pay at a normal agency say like $50 a day, you can get a way better car from Turo like a hybrid or more luxurious car. Also if you are in a city like SF, you can get the car in the city as opposed to the airport. Although they do also have airport rentals. I don't think credit card car insurance covers Turo, just a FYI.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by ryanpatch
They weasel their way out of protecting you by defining Turo as a "car share" service, and NOT a "rental" agency. It's crap.
That "crap" is exactly the argument Turo has been making about why they shouldn't be regulated like, and pay the same taxes and fees as, a regular rental agency. Can't have it both ways.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ryanpatch
I have not made a claim with my personal car insurance to know if they would have covered it.
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that most of the major insurers (at least in the US) cover you if you're authorized to drive the vehicle, even if the vehicle isn't on the policy. Of course, YMMV and you should check your own policy before declining Turo's insurance.

That said, good to know that Chase won't cover Turo rentals. I should check the CDW coverage at some point on my Diners Club MC (which is also primary) to see if it's the same.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Austin Jones

So your mileage may vary - best to call your card and find out.
I looked at the current CSR Benefits Guide and I'm not seeing anything offhand that would preclude Turo coverage. Of course, if the administrator says no, I'm not sure there's much that can be done.

Also, I looked at the Diners Club guide and there isn't anything specific about Turo either. However, they do have the following which could give them an out depending on how "rental agency" is defined (emphasis mine):

Rental agreement means the entire agreement or contract that you receive when renting a vehicle from a vehicle rental agency that describes in full all of the terms and conditions of the rental, as well as the responsibility of all parties under the rental agreement
BTW, here's the page from Turo's site warning that CC coverage probably isn't happening.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:08 pm

Is Turo considered a reimbursable travel expense w/ Arrival card?

Just wondering if I can use my Arrival card rewards to reimburse for the Turo expense?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.