FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 1.5x PQM for P fare?
View Single Post
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:42 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warrenw
I'll wait until UA says they're doing something different with P fares before I wholly trust there is a change.

But I will say, that if they do switch to 1.5PQM I'm going to switch all my international travel (which is nearly all my flights) to Star Alliance carriers and only fly 4 segments on UA / year.
If UA changes their deepest discount business fare back to 150% -- in line with what it used to be -- you'll switch all of your flying to airlines that only offer 100%?

I mean, it's your prerogative, but I don't get the point.

If -- and it's a big if -- UA is downgrading a business class fare bucket to 150%, they'd do the same for the matching buckets on the JV partners, so it's not like you'd be able to get 200% by flying P fares on NH.

Originally Posted by PushingTin
So is one a P fare and one a some kind of P made up from a Y cabin fare? 58 versus 926 a UA versus Continental thing?
Or, it's just a mistake, since so far the charts still say 200% and nobody has actually had any post at 150%.

Originally Posted by PushingTin
The P fare multiple seemed like an elegant way for UA to give higher than flown status to people that pay for higher priced tickets
P is not a higher priced ticket. P is the deepest discount business class / domestic first class fare they have, and it's often cheaper than many economy fares that offer 150% or even 100%.

I mean, yes, it's normally higher than the cheapest available economy class ticket, but (a) not everybody buys the cheapest available ticket and (b) a P fare purchased 180 days in advance can easily be more expensive than the cheapest economy fare available 180 minutes in advance.