FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Package General Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:44 pm
rny321

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
I had assumed that MPG would either convert the certificates fairly initially or end up doing slightly more later. If the company had simply stated in the one email that was sent to customers on 8/10 that we could make changes to our existing certificates during the dead period between 8/18 when the conversions were announced and the end date of 9/18, I believe most people wouldn't have objected.

If given the option on August 18 to pay the difference between the 40K per night rate incorporated in a OC8 or the 45K per night rate for the OC9 and the standard rate of 50K for a NC6, I would have willingly done so and I would probably have never thought about it again. Instead, I guessed right on the OC9, which was 5K per night or 30K less than I would have been willing to pay. I also had a OC8 that I ended up being able to upgrade to a NC6 (Thank you Irish CSR!) and saved another 30K compared to might have paid if the option to upgrade had been available initially.

Rather than being pleased that I saved 60K in points, I am annoyed at how difficult this process has been and I now have a lower opinion of the company that caused the controversy than I otherwise would have. It's clear that not being upfront about its intentions was a customer relations failure that in the end may not even save the company money.

Last edited by rny321; Sep 15, 2018 at 3:13 pm