FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 1.5x PQM for P fare?
View Single Post
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:40 am
StuckinITH

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's likely you're just running into inventory constraints. Likely, those flights have sold better than projections, so they're tightening up inventory to see what sells. Domestic F fares are sold on a differential basis, so tight inventory in either cabin will result in higher F fares.

Obviously there's a glitch that's coming and going w.r.t. the display of P earnings. There are two logical hypotheses -- UA plans to stop awarding 200% for discount business class, or UA plans to use P as a P+ fare class, and P+ will earn 150%. Note that I'm not suggesting they'd downgrade current reservations -- they won't. Rather, they may remap existing P tickets into Z.

I don't think we have enough information yet to figure which of these two is more likely.
Question: if they remap existing P tickets into Z and they don't sell anymore P fare business class (P fare will be PE), will they slightly reduce the price of the Z fare? I see there goes the only chances I had to purchase outright a Business Class ticket. This year, out of 5 international trips, I managed to get P fares on 2. The rest I had to rely on hypothetical upgrades. Z fares are way out of my reach.