FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - All together now -- Continuing technical issues from the legacy SPG forum
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:24 pm
ftrichard

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by remymartin
I assume you're counting on status-based access to the lounge, yes? If so this will be a rare data point on what reality is at some SPG properties versus the new T&C that doesn't grant lounge access at e.g. W.
Well, you may be correct but let's see. I've stayed there before and got suite upgrades and lounge access as a Platinum. As a data point, it's of limited use given that so few Ws have lounges and they've got one to attract business customers in this particular city at price points the same or slightly higher than the Marriott, Sheraton, Westin and others. It's not like a Ritz Carlton lounge situation.

In my experience hotels have had broad discretion to offer more than the programme's bare bones. This includes Courtyards in Hong Kong that have lounges and grant access and decent room upgrades to Marriott Golds (now Platinums) as though they are, you know, actual Marriotts, or Le Meridiens and St Regis hotels without lounges (both in Bangkok) that give plentiful happy hour drinks in a bar for Platinums and in the case of LeM Bkk gives sparkling wine at breakfast just for Plats. Or, on the other hand, there are execrable Sheratons without lounges such as in Koh Samui that do absolutely nothing for Platinums and barely meet the programme terms.

So, yes it will be a data point. In the shakeout I think hotel managers will be hotel managers and continue to respond to the local competitive requirements in addition to the programme bare bones.