FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - We’re not price gouging, blame the airports ..
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:47 pm
Platy

Originally Posted by og
So, Platy, your work with SYD must have been started after the demise of the FAC ? (and I didn’t fully cover the period after FAC and before SACL in my earlier comment).
Exactly. So to complete the picture for anyone still interested in the original debate:

According to this source:

https://www.bloomberg.com/research/s...vcapId=3729801

"...Sydney Airport Corporation Limited operates an international airport in Sydney, Australia. Sydney Airport Corporation Limited was formerly known as Sydney Airports Corporation Limited. The company was incorporated in 1998 and is based in Sydney, Australia...."

Also,:

"...The Commonwealth will retain ownership of the Sydney basin airports (Kingsford Smith, Bankstown, Camden and Hoxton Park) and Essendon Airport (for which there was no successful bidder during the Phase II airport sales). These airports were leased by the Commonwealth to new Government-owned companies on 1 July 1998..."

from

Prices Oversight of Sydney Airport [13/07/1998]

On that basis there was a 4-year period (1998 to 2002) when the airport was the old SACL (pre-privatisation) before being renamed by one letter change to the new SACL upon privatisation.

That would be right in the period that my business was a supplier from one or two years prior to the Olympics (2000),through the Olympics and other events such as the Virgin Blue launch in 2000 (which I attended) and just into the privatisation changeover.