Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

We’re not price gouging, blame the airports ..

We’re not price gouging, blame the airports ..

Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by og

Ciarifying:
Prior to (all 22) Commonwealth owned airports being sold or privatised, they were administered for the Commonwealth by the Federal Airports Corporation. SACL was the new Corporate entity that took over (in this case example) SYD airport after privatisation. Airlines (eg QF) merely continued to operate as before in their commercial encironment.

Exactly - there's a difference between being run by and for the government. I have less issues with the "run for" model. I have big issues with the "run by" model.

Platy - life has changed since the 80s, especially the aviation industry. You really just can't compare it - running a major international airport in the 2020s is completely different to what it was 30-40 years ago. Just look at Qantas. If it was still state owned we'd be propping it up with taxes for sure.

Also, I think we can keep the personal attacks on political beliefs out of this. Just saying.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by og

Ciarifying:
Prior to (all 22) Commonwealth owned airports being sold or privatised, they were administered for the Commonwealth by the Federal Airports Corporation. SACL was the new Corporate entity that took over (in this case example) SYD airport after privatisation. Airlines (eg QF) merely continued to operate as before in their commercial encironment.

Not quite correct ,sir.

Sydney Airport was run by SACL = Sydney Airports Corporation Ltd prior to privatisation.

And then renamed after privatisation to Sydney Airport Corporation Limited.

I was a supplier to SACL pre- and post- privatisation.

Last edited by Platy; Sep 13, 2018 at 4:43 am
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by justinbrett
Exactly - there's a difference between being run by and for the government. I have less issues with the "run for" model. I have big issues with the "run by" model.

Platy - life has changed since the 80s, especially the aviation industry. You really just can't compare it - running a major international airport in the 2020s is completely different to what it was 30-40 years ago. Just look at Qantas. If it was still state owned we'd be propping it up with taxes for sure.

Also, I think we can keep the personal attacks on political beliefs out of this. Just saying.
It is Sydney Airport which is the subject of this thread.

Sydney Airport was run by SACL before privatisation. There was a minor name change after privatisation (still SACL).

The privatised Sydney Airport is price gouging consumers and therefore on the radar of the ACCC (see my citation in earlier thread).

And then to the other subject of this thread, Qantas - which was begging the government for taxpayers money as a privately run company just a few years ago.

So much for the benefits off privatisation.

(Happy to keep on topic if you can resist making irrelevant comments about gender training: which I will always challenge since promoting such ignorance contributes to serious impacts on the lives of children and others in the community).

Last edited by Platy; Sep 13, 2018 at 5:06 am
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:35 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Platy
Not quite correct ,sir.

Sydney Airport was run by SACL = Sydney Airports Corporation Ltd prior to privatisation.

And then renamed after privatisation to Sydney Airport Corporation Limited.
Expanding: SYD airport was administered by the Government’s FAC prior to FAC being abolished. SYD and a couple of the other 22 airports had not been privatised by that abolition date. AFAIK SYD then became administered by SAC(L ?) until privatisation was finalised. This body was a Government Trading Enterprise. After the privatisation, the SACL we know today took over.

So, Platy, your work with SYD must have been started after the demise of the FAC ? (and I didn’t fully cover the period after FAC and before SACL in my earlier comment).
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by og
So, Platy, your work with SYD must have been started after the demise of the FAC ? (and I didn’t fully cover the period after FAC and before SACL in my earlier comment).
Exactly. So to complete the picture for anyone still interested in the original debate:

According to this source:

https://www.bloomberg.com/research/s...vcapId=3729801

"...Sydney Airport Corporation Limited operates an international airport in Sydney, Australia. Sydney Airport Corporation Limited was formerly known as Sydney Airports Corporation Limited. The company was incorporated in 1998 and is based in Sydney, Australia...."

Also,:

"...The Commonwealth will retain ownership of the Sydney basin airports (Kingsford Smith, Bankstown, Camden and Hoxton Park) and Essendon Airport (for which there was no successful bidder during the Phase II airport sales). These airports were leased by the Commonwealth to new Government-owned companies on 1 July 1998..."

from

Prices Oversight of Sydney Airport [13/07/1998]

On that basis there was a 4-year period (1998 to 2002) when the airport was the old SACL (pre-privatisation) before being renamed by one letter change to the new SACL upon privatisation.

That would be right in the period that my business was a supplier from one or two years prior to the Olympics (2000),through the Olympics and other events such as the Virgin Blue launch in 2000 (which I attended) and just into the privatisation changeover.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.