FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mile Play Promotion (9/2018)
View Single Post
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:14 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala
I'm actually thinking of cancelling my trip, paying the change fee and rebooking. What is that for domestic -- like 200 bucks? For 80K miles, is this insane or genius? Will it work? Am I missing anything? I leave Friday morning so need to move on this if I decide to do it.
Generally $200 plus any fare difference for domestic flights.

Originally Posted by augias84
so, if I already have a trip booked, and I get it reticketed in some way -- does it then count?
What if to reticket it there was an add/collect of $200 (which is the minimum each trip needs to be)?
Change fees are not considered add/collect. Add/collect -- short for "additional collection" -- is reserved for cases where new funds were needed in order to pay the fare. Ancillary fees, including change fees, are separate.

I don't think I'd want to do any of this unless I were certain that they'd use the reissue date. I don't recall what's been reported for similar promos in the past, but perhaps some thread spelunking will provide an answer. If it worked in August, it would probably work in October.

My guess is that it would only work if they forced a reissue, not a revalidation -- so, changing origin, destination, or the number of transfers might do the trick, but merely changing dates would probably not. But, as I said, this is a guess.

Originally Posted by augias84
I'm also one of those suckers who plan their travel 6 months in advance, and have about 20 trips coming up in the next few months and none to book...
I trust you're getting good fares...? UA will often withhold the discount inventory buckets until they see whether or not people will jump at the higher prices. For non-holiday / special event travel, the best deals are generally somewhere between 2 months and 3 weeks out.