FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Private Onsen - Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka "kashikiri"
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:22 am
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
I appreciate the help. I'm trying to slowly bring her over to being comfortable with it but it's already proving to be a very tough road. She's totally comfortable around me but can't get over the embarrassment factor of a public bath.

It would certainly make my trip planning a lot easier to get her over her fear. I don't know whether having non-Japanese people there would help or hinder. It's really tough to say. It's confusing for me because I wasn't brought up to be ashamed of nudity and didn't realize that this would be a problem until I brought it up during some trip planning discussion.
You are far more likely to find hotels with a “family bath” for hire than a “co-ed” arrangement. And it will be a lot cheaper than getting a room with its own private bath. Why not just try to find one place on your itinerary with such a facility and then she can have her bathing in Japan experience with you? Just make sure you put your rental request in when you book.