FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) Questions Thread [Archive]
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:29 pm
Kacee
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by stmvanc
Do I then need to buy two separate tickets, one YVR-IAH, one IAH-SCL (that would then immediately get upgraded by GPU), or do I buy a single YVR-IAH-SCL ticket and apply a GPU, secure in knowing that at least the IAH-SCL leg will get upgraded?
Single ticket. IAH-SCL will clear immediately if that segment is R>0.

Any hints on the strategy of buying the R0 ticket and applying a GPU with the risk of not getting the upgrade, versus coughing up the money to buy directly into biz (I'd have to pay the substantial difference out of pocket)?
If you have fixed travel dates, there's not really anything you can do to increase upgrade odds (except possibly buying a V if the cost delta from W is not too high). If you share your travel dates, people can give you more concrete input on your options.

ETA: I see the UA 1-stop routings are horrible in both directions, with very long IAH layovers. AM has a very cheap ($2565) J fare to SCL in January. There is a long layover at MEX on the return. AC is cheaper than UA, with better timing. This looks like a situation where one might consider flying off-status because the UA options kind of suck.

Is there typically not much R space on UA flights to South America in January?
It will vary by route and date.