FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Leaving Marriott General Discussion Thread
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:11 am
somedudefromFLa

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
I'm probably gonna get swords & daggers for saying this but is it really Marriott lying to us or is it us not hearing what we want? OK yes yes yes, many things could've been communicated a lot better but I think this attack of lying is a bit to much.

For example, did Marriott ever say they were going to let us book a $1,000 hotel room in bora bora for 60k or did we just try to create a dream of that which was then shut down

Or, did Marriott ever assure that as an SPG transplant that I am now guaranteed upgrade to best suites at all top teir Marriott & Ritz if I book the cheapest rate, or was it always "some upgrade."

Now, I will say Marriott had been consistent on two things

1/ some upgrade everytime
2/ guaranteed 4pm checkout

And, when comparing to the other major players- IHG & Hilton - that is more than they guarntee to offer and also the Marriott bar is more reachable with fifty (75 night 75,000 points & 60 nights respectively). So I'm not only sticking to Marriott I'm actually planning to move IHG stays over, probably will let spire drop and just keep plat there as well neither really get me anything

IMHO, what really need to view is what hotels I really like, and Marriott has both a large footprint & quality brands! I personally stay mostly at westins and happy with those so that's where I'm planning stay. In addition now I have many options didn't have before in secondary markets, as it used to be a shearton & maybe aloft but now many options. I will say IHG is building a footprint with growing indigos and acquisition of kimptons, but still I just feel they don't view status...

So I'd say the only real choice is between:

Marriott if desire status- 4pm & some upgrade

OR

IHG if desire points free stays ( especially points breaks )

I just don't see hilton in the picture as they don't really give status and well there points just meh!

And, yes yes yes: it sucks we lost perks of spg but it is what it is - economy is up and late stage capitalism...