FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - “Heart of glass” - letter from Business Traveller about compensation
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:36 am
LTN Phobia
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
I'm another who read "two first class Avios seats" as asking BA to open up reward availability (i.e. Mr Lawson is suggesting he use his own Avios, and that he pay the associated TFC) by way of compensation. In this regard, I can see why he might think such an action "costs nothing" to BA (I don't agree with him on this point, but I can see his reasoning).

It's not especially clear in his letter, and I wonder if he's not made his request particularly clear to BA. If that is what he is asking for, then it actually sounds like a reasonable compromise to me.
It could even be that the flight he wants (even if he's only asking for Avios availability and not free flights) has only F (and not even A) available, and they are expecting F to be full though.

In which case, opening up the availability can cost BA rather a lot in lost revenue and therefore may not at all be reasonable.

Really, Avios availability should be seen as 'seats they aren't expecting to be able to sell for cash' especially when it comes to F.