FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MH/QR long connection questions
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:53 pm
kaffir76

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by brbear
Thanks, I think this will be my strategy --- work for some hours in the MH lounge(s), before knocking off at midnight and switching to PP First (if possible) to relax a bit pre-flight.
(Heading into the city is also a nice idea, but as I'm anyway in KL most weekends, I'll be happy on this one occasion to stay airside and skip KLIA's "award winning" immigration service. :-) )
Thanks for the update, & good for you that you managed to enter the MH lounge so early. I'd have headed straight to the sleeping room & stayed in the lounge until it was time to board.
You didn't miss much at the PP First lounge, so no worries.

According to their website, QRPC Silver members are eligible to use the PP First lounge regardless of your class of travel but I was turned away last Nov. when I tried.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/lounges/worldwide.html

Kuala Lumpur International Airport
Plaza Premium First
Location : Satellite Terminal / Mezzanine Floor / After Security
Open all day
Lounge Access Eligibility
Silver and Higher

Originally Posted by kt74
Are you sure? Have you actually been to the lounges at 2am before the late QR flight? QR gives J pax access to the PP First lounge, which has a la carte dining and a full bar service. By 2am, the MH Plat lounge is long closed, and on the J side, the bar and showcase kitchens are closed, the food not refilled, staff are cleaning around pax, and the air-con is turned low/off. This is about the as bad as the main PP lounge (next to the SQ lounge) though at least it has a bar, but the PP FIRST lounge (next to the EK lounge/opposite CX) is superior to the MH offerings at this time of night, assuming you want to eat or drink anything, or sit in air-con without someone vacuuming around you. YMMV of course!

Anyway, for the OP, go crazy and try all the lounges before midnight (MH, MH Regional, CX) if you're not going into the city, and definitely try and get an invitation to the PP FIRST lounge if you intend to use the lounges after midnight. This post suggests that you might get access in Y on QR.
The above in bold about the MH lounge is mostly correct, but the biggest advantage of the lounge to me is the sleeping/nap room (loud snorers included). At 1am I'm not really in the mood to eat or drink so a full buffet & open bar isn't on my priority list but I guess others may feel differently. The A/C was working fine on the 2 occasions last month when I was there.