MH/QR long connection questions

Old Jul 11, 18, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MH Gold / OW Sapphire
MH/QR long connection questions

I will possibly be connecting at KLIA from MH620 (SIN 16:35 --> KUL 17:45) to QR853 (KUL 02:50 --> DOH). Both fares are economy.

Will I be able to:

(1) check baggage through all the way, despite the long layover in KUL?

(2) access the MH lounge (as an MH Gold member) for all of the layover, or for only X hours prior to the QR flight?

Thanks a lot!
Old Jul 11, 18, 11:52 pm

Yes, of course - to both your questions.
brbear likes this.
Old Jul 11, 18, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by brbear View Post
I will possibly be connecting at KLIA from MH620 (SIN 16:35 --> KUL 17:45) to QR853 (KUL 02:50 --> DOH). Both fares are economy.

Will I be able to:

(2) access the MH lounge (as an MH Gold member) for all of the layover, or for only X hours prior to the QR flight?

Thanks a lot!
1) Yes, OW partner. See thread here, particularly last post, as of Jan 2018: Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

2) Not certain, but I think you should be fine. Don’t remember seeing any limits on access prior to a flight, though common sense would be that they’ll likely check for same calendar day or something like ~12hrs before An overnight transit stop...
brbear likes this.
Old Jul 12, 18, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: MH Gold / OW Sapphire
Thanks a lot both for the reassurance!
Old Jul 12, 18, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Yes to both, but MH is not the designated lounge for QR J class pax (and the MH lounges are busy at 9pm before all their evening departures; and dire at 2am, when the aircon is turned down, bar is closed and cleaning starts); you may need to find a QR transfer desk to get an invite to the Plaza Premium First lounge (not to be confused with the larger Plaza Premium lounge) - it's much smaller, but at least you can get an a la carte meal and alcohol from the bar

Although tbf, with such a long layover, you may as well pop into the city to get a nice dinner somewhere (or lounge hop - don't forget there's CX too in the early evening - not particularly luxurious, but very peaceful after the last KA departure)
brbear likes this.
Old Jul 13, 18, 3:31 pm

Programs: THAI ROP Gold, QR PC GOLD, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by brbear View Post
Will I be able to:
Thanks a lot!
2) I was asked by the lounge staff to return approx. 4-5 hrs before my CX/KA flight last month when I had a long overnight layover in KUL.
He explained that as a 3rd party lounge to CX, that was the airline's policy. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I was able to access the Plaza Premium lounge.
The next time I have an overnight'er at KUL (& not departing on an MH flight), I'll be booking a room either at the Sama2 Express or a hotel near the airport.

Originally Posted by kt74 View Post
Yes to both, but MH is not the designated lounge for QR J class pax (and the MH lounges are busy at 9pm before all their evening departures; and dire at 2am, when the aircon is turned down, bar is closed and cleaning starts); you may need to find a QR transfer desk to get an invite to the Plaza Premium First lounge (not to be confused with the larger Plaza Premium lounge) - it's much smaller, but at least you can get an a la carte meal and alcohol from the bar

Although tbf, with such a long layover, you may as well pop into the city to get a nice dinner somewhere (or lounge hop - don't forget there's CX too in the early evening - not particularly luxurious, but very peaceful after the last KA departure)
OP is not traveling on QR J.