FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:00 am
phltraveler

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by lotemblizej
My status still shows Platinum rather than PP. I was Platinum this year before Aug 18, so understand I should be PP though the end of this year.
Correct, assuming you're talking about the 75 night level (old MR Plat/new MR Plat Premier), you should be at Plat Premier currently.

Also, I am showing 9 years of Platinum status and wonder whether that counts 2018. If not, I wonder whether that gives me 10 years of Platinum status and lifetime PP. I find this transition to be very confusing in part because of the use of both "Platinum" and "Platinum Premier."
As far as I can tell it does. Right now I have LTPP via the old 750 nights + 2M points criteria. Over the past few years I had:

2012: Joined MR, did not hit 50 nights in 2012 (not a year at plat for LT calculation)
2013: Organic Plat (50+ butt in bed nights)
2014: Organic Plat (50+ butt in bed nights)
2015: Organic Plat (50+ butt in bed nights)
2016: Semi-organic plat (50+ nights with rollover) in MR. Another year @ plat given by status matched SPG account
2017: Semi-organic plat (50+ nights with rollover) in MR. Another year @ plat given by status matched SPG account
2018: Non-organic plat (LTPP criteria makes me PP, but sitting at 48 nights). SPG status matched to plat did not count.

Before merging I had 6 years at plat (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 in MR) and once merged with SPG, I had 8 years at plat (MR 6 years + 2016 & 2017 status matched years in SPG).

Now they said that organic years in both programs counted. As in, if I legitimately hit 50 nights in SPG and 50 nights in MR within the same calendar year, that would count as two separate years of plat for LT calculation purposes. Linked status years (like 2016 & 2017 in SPG for me) were not supposed to count, but at this point are. The question is if Marriott will go back and correct this, and if so, does it affect you.

A lot of us have had elite statuses reflecting lower (e.g. LTPPs reflecting as current plats) fixed, and some showing higher statuses being corrected via downgrade (e.g. people without ambassadors showing PPE w/ Ambasssador after the merger, and then now showing just Platinum Premier Elite). It's very possible that if some of your years at plat came from status linking to (to/from SPG), then your actual elite year count may be lowered in the weeks to come.